stitching, quilting, fabric, projects
As part of the clearing out going on here in my sewing room, I discovered a nearly completed quilt top made from old shirts, doilies, tea towels and tablecloths. I also found three bags of filleted shirts, yokes and cuffs and more shirts and sheets I was hanging onto, in case I needed them 🙂
So today I completed the final strip on the quilt top, rescued all of the buttons and filled some charity bags with the whole shirts and threw away the entrails. Why I thought I would need quite so many shirts is beyond me!
Anyway here are some of the highlights of the top. It needs a good press but as it will be folded back into a (much smaller) bag tonight, I’ll save that until I have the time to layer it up and quilt it. I’ll also apologize for the poor photos, it’s been hailing here today, the sky has been black.
This lovely embroidery was already trimmed from a table cloth when I bought it at Unravel a few years ago.
The cocktail glass was a stab at thread painting on an old napkin. It was fun to be able to include it (and a few others), they weren’t going to be used anywhere else!
This was a vintage tray cloth found in a charity shop. We had some fun days out hunting for these treasures a few years ago.
I used some of the labels from the shirts as well as the tails to add some curves where possible.
This was a blackwork sample, a tea towel and some ribbon I’d been hoarding.
A few hours of sewing and I’ve tidied a little corner. Sewing = Tidying 🙂
I’ve also ticked a few boxes on the recycling and upcycling front too.
So great to be back at the machine!
Creative & Handmade Small Business Shop Share in the Heart of Ashford
Creating, Promoting, and Sustaining a New Vision in Stitching and Needlecraft
A blog about knitting, making things & life with a black Labrador called Mollie
Mover, shaker. Designer, maker. Clothing business shaper.
pottery & stuff